AS07B51
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS07B51

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Verizon Net Book Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Verizon Net Book Review Empty
PostSubject: Verizon Net Book Review   Verizon Net Book Review EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 pm

With net books, notebooks, and mini's being all the rage these days, Verizon recently launched a $199 HP Mini1151 NR Broadband 10.1 inch Notebook that is buzzing all the computer circles, and saturating the T.V. ad spots.

After a few weeks of searching, reading reviews, looking at specs, stats, performance, dimensions and everything else down to the available colors and of course, price, I have found (and purchased) the best notebook on the market for the money.

First of all, the Verizon Mini is only $199 if you sign a 2 year service contract for:

$39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage, for those that:

* Need a mobile connection 7-8 hours a month
(a month ? I need that a day !)
* Send or receive email with small or no attachments
* Light Web Browsing
* Download or upload small files
* Download a song or two once in a while (?)

or
$59.99 monthly access with a 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage, for those that:

* Need a frequent mobile connection
* Send or receive email with large attachments
* Download or upload large files such as photos
* Need frequent access to Web sites
* Download music occasionally

Without the 2 year agreement, the notebook costs $599 !

However, without the 2 year agreement, you then have the option of purchasing a day pass for those who:

* Want the flexibility of using Mobile Broadband without a long-term commitment
* Only need broadband data access once in a while
* Cost is $15 a day (per 24 hr period) How many of those do you think you'll rack up in a year ? Just 5 days a month is $75 !

They don't offer an unlimited monthly plan for mobile broadband, you get an "allowance", and there are overage charges if you go above your monthly "allowance"...not a good deal for the average to heavy user, or even the casual one that doesn't want to ration their internet time.

Verizon's Netbook and 3G Network Lacks Freedom and Versatility
Competitors Already Launching Worldwide 4G WIMAX
Second: The Verizon notebook boasts 3G access on the Verizon network. The problem with that is.... Verizon is trailing behind other companies like Sprint, Clear and many others who are already rolling out their 4G networks worldwide, otherwise known as WIMAX (which stands for Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) which offers higher speeds and wider coverage areas.

Third: The product description plainly states that the notebook can only be used with a compatible service plan, kind of like how some mobile phones can only be used on the network that you purchased them for....so this laptop will only work (access the internet) if I have a Verizon service plan ?

Is There a Better Alternative ?
I really want a mini notebook but as always, this was a little too good to be true. What do I do now ?
After a few weeks of searching, reading reviews, looking at specs, stats, performance, dimensions and everything else down to the available colors and of course, price, I have found (and purchased) the best notebook on the market for the money.

Acer, the company that owns Gateway, Packard-Bell, and E-machines is in control of the mini notebook market and Verizon's latest notebook offering pales in comparison to the Acer Aspire One 11.6 inch Notebook.
I already own 3 wide screen monitors from Acer, so I was already familiar with their quality.

Having read many reviews (0ver 300) of the smaller model (Aspire One 10.1), I opted to go for the new version the Acer Aspire One 11.6 Notebook.
Compare The Two and Decide For Yourself
The Acer Aspire is Loaded with Extras and Functionaility

The Verizon HP Mini

* 10.1 inch Display 1024 x 576-pixel resolution
* Operates on Verizon Wireless Mobile 3G Mobile Broadband network with typical download speeds ranging from 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps
* 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 16 GB solid state drive, 1 GB RAM, 54g Wi-Fi LAN (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Bluetooth, 3-Cell Lithium-Ion Polymer battery
* Chat face to face with the built-in HP Mini Webcam; includes 2 USB ports and SD/MMC card reader
* 2 USB 2.0 ports
* SD/MMC memory card reader
* 1 headphone out/microphone in combo jack
* does not come with a VGA monitor output for connecting to an external monitor
* Embedded broadband software Cannot be used on another service network.

The Acer Aspire One 11.6 Notebook

* 11.6 Inch Display LED-backlight widescreen display with 1366 x 768-pixel resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio and 200-nit high brightness
* Not locked into any service plan so you are free to use any wireless card or provider you wish including 4G WIMAX for the life of the computer !
* 1.3 GHz Intel Atom Z520, 160 GB hard disk drive, 2 GB of RAM (DDR2, 667 MHz, maximum capacity) 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), Fast Ethernet (10/100) ,Up to 4 hours of battery life from 3-cell battery
* Crystal Eye webcam supports Acer PrimaLite technology, which consists of a premium sensor, firmware and lenses to provide superior video performance under low-light conditions. A built-in digital microphone helps keep background noise levels low and minimizes echoes.
* 3 USB 2.0 Ports
* Multi-in-1 memory card reader compatible with MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
* 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack(separate) in addition also has Stereo speakers and optimized Dolby Headphone technology for 5.1-channel audio
* Comes with VGA output for connecting an External monitor

The both come with Windows XP installed, but Windows Vista is available on the Acer Aspire

Because of size, neither has a CD/DVD drive.

The Acer Aspire also has:

* Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500
* Multi-gesture touchpad supporting circular-motion scrolling, pinch-action zoom, page flip
* It has a FULL SIZED keyboard..the Verizon Mini does not !
* Windows Vista and Blue Tooth integration is Available on Certain Models, as well as a 6 cell battery for up to 8 hours reserve power.
* Also Wimax (4G) drivers are readily available for your Aspire One for free on the Acer Support site.
Acer 11.6 LCD, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
Just one of the Optional Configurations of the Acer Aspire One
From homework to home office, your home PC needs are covered with the Acer 11.6" LCD 250GB HDD White Laptop with Webcam. A powerful 2GB of RAM lets you multi-task with a number of open...
Prices shown on the previously recorded video may not represent the current price.